At the Vet with our Buff Goose

Jan 18, 2018
Norman, OK
71679787-587F-4B21-BB9D-23135FA86C6A.jpeg

Our male Buff goose is just about 8 & 1/2 weeks old and we are at the avian vet as an emergency.

He has swallowed a portion of a length of baling twine from a square bale of hay! I could not remove it and I fear he has swallowed about 2 & 1/2 feet of the length. We had prepared their enclosure for an approaching storm last night and put fresh hay on the floor of their enclosure. The remainder of the bale (over 1/2 the bale) was on an elevated shelf. Evidently he was able to find and reach an end of the one piece of twine that was cut. (Our huge mistake!) In our rush to secure everything, we missed removing this one piece of twine that he was strong enough to remove from under the bale and tall enough to reach.

The vet is sedating him now to see if she can manually remove the length of twine. If it cannot be removed after sedation, they will proceed with surgery.

Thank you for caring and sending up a prayer for our boy. Also, heed our warning and remove any object your geese or ducks may think they need to try to consume! We had swept all their housing, run, and very large enclosure for any metal objects with a rolling magnet. But, in our rush to make them dry and safe, we missed the baling twine that we didn’t think could be reached.

Last edited:
7CFEB505-0F4D-4FDF-8CC3-F62251AD333A.jpeg
They couldn’t get it out, x-rayed and it is all the way to his proventrivculus. He also has a nail! (We swept the entire area several times with a rolling magnet before putting them out!) Evidently something came up from underground after a big rain or the ducks dug their little dabbling holes where he found a nail to eat!

We have been referred to OSU (Oklahoma State University Vet Hospital) where a small animal avian team is waiting for us. They have a scope they will use to try to remove the baling twine & the small nail!!!

We are about 45 min into our 1 & 1/2 hr drive to get to OSU Vet Hospital.

I’m sharing a pic of one of his x-rays from the referring vet we saw. They were excellent and arranged our further referral.

I’ll keep you updated and thanks for thinking of us!

They put him under anesthesia and his GI tract relaxed and they were able to remove the baling twine. However, the nail had embedded in the twine and came out too. They are doing a swallow of contrast study to make sure nothing was punctured or lacerated by the nail on the way up. They are doing that now. We'll keep you posted!

Thank you!

View attachment 1410573 They couldn’t get it out, x-rayed and it is all the way to his proventrivculus. He also has a nail! (We swept the entire area several times with a rolling magnet before putting them out!) Evidently something came up from underground after a big rain or the ducks dug their little dabbling holes where he found a nail to eat!

We have been referred to OSU (Oklahoma State University Vet Hospital) where a small animal avian team is waiting for us. They have a scope they will use to try to remove the baling twine & the small nail!!!

We are about 45 min into our 1 & 1/2 hr drive to get to OSU Vet Hospital.

I’m sharing a pic of one of his x-rays from the referring vet we saw. They were excellent and arranged our further referral.

I’ll keep you updated and thanks for thinking of us!
OMG! :eek:
crazy gooseie. Hope both your goose and your wallet can recover from this :hugs

Back
Top Bottom