at the zoo in Portland

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FrenchHen, Apr 18, 2009.

1. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I saw two lovely gold and black standard hens with muffs, I assume they're Ameraucanas. The zoo website said Araucanas, but I'm pretty sure they had rumps.

I also saw three teensy little gold bantams that looked like BO's in color, but were shaped more like leghorns. They had some black in their tails, and I think they had a rose comb. Any clues as to what these delightful bitty chickies were?

The site says silver-gray dorkings, but that doesn't look right when I see the photos on Feathersite.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You went to Portland today?!?! We could have caravaned :p

How is the zoo up there? I've only been to the woodland park zoo in Seattle.

3. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I wouldn't have minded company. I went to Bob's Red Mill, the Zoo, then Trader Joe's. A happy day all around.

I've never been to the Seattle Zoo, but I like the Portland one. I'd wait until they get done with the construction that's blocking one of the loops. Their Northwest exibit is really good; great views of black bears and cougars and bobcats. It's a nice place, plus they let you bring in your own food!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Awesome, I'll keep my eye out on when they finish construction and maybe hit it up later this summer when I get a bit of breather room in lab. The funnest part of going to portland was, well, was going up to Vancouver for emissions testing. I got to put the car on the dyno and drive it for the first time! Car passed so all is good.

5. FrenchHen

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    They're getting Lions this summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by