1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

at what age are the roosters mature and capable of mating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Theapplechicks, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    My hens are not even laying yet. They are all about 14wk old or so. I have one rooster that is also 14wk and 3 that are only about 9wk. They have started showing some aggression towards each other, I guess to see who's boss but what has puzzled me even more is that 2 of them are already mounting the hens, or attempting to. At what age are they fertile and is it normal for them to try to mount that young?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    [​IMG] moving to top to see if I get a response.... no one likes to answer my posts! lol!

3. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    I wish I could help you out. I'm not sure when they become fertile. My roosters are doing that too. Just watch out they don't come after you thinking your a nice hen [​IMG]

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the general answer is 6 months, however, there are always exceptions depending on the breed and whatever else that may effect it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by