at what age are treats ok for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Soot the silkie, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Hi, last year when I kept chicks I just winged how many, when and much of treats to give, and I don't know if I did it right. My chicks are nine days old and I want to give them sliced fruit, and maybe pasta. But I was wondering if I had to buy grit or if I could just give them dirt with tiny rocks in it as grit. I'm also wondering whether I can give them small amounts of bread and pasta at this age, because I know stuff like that isn't really good for them. Thank you for any input!

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Everyone probably will have their own thoughts of this… I usually hold off until the third or fourth week. Any seeds you give them will of course require grit. Bread and pasta is not a very healthy offering, but in small amounts it should be ok. I suppose with the experience you have, you will do fine, and it is good to see you looking out for your birds.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

3. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    ^ x2. I've heard all kinds of ideas/opinions on this. I wait a few weeks; although, I do sometimes give babies scrambled egg bits or a tiny bit of plain greek yogurt earlier than that. But those are the only two treats I will give them.

After a few weeks, I put a little bowl of "chick grit" in there and start introducing them to fresh berries, lettuce leaves, etc.

4. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I did more research on this and a lot of people give treats at a younger age. So today I gave them clean dirt and apples. Also some puffed rice.

5. kmartinez

kmartinez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    I didnt give any treats or other food until they knew what they crumbles were..I fed mine almost on week 3 leafy greens. But during their 1st week, cottage cheese or boiled egg to pep them up cause they were mail order. I give cooked oatmeal sometimes. I offered mine grit our ground froze with ice on it so i wasnt digging some soil up..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by