At what age are various breeds sexable?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dheltzel, Mar 24, 2015.

1. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I am interested in compiling a list of chicken breeds and the approximate age when they can be sexed (and how to sex them, if unique to the breed).

I can get the list started and if you'd like to contribute your experience, please do.

Breed Approx age Method
    (weeks)
    Red Sexlinks 0 pullets are red, cockerels are yellow
    Black Sexlinks 0 cockerels have white spot on their head that pullet lack
    Rhodebars 0 cockerels have white spot on their head, pullets are "wild type" with broad stripe down the back
    Legbars 0 cockerels have white spot on their head, pullets are "wild type" with broad stripe down the back
    Bielefelders 0 cockerels have white spot on their head, pullets are "wild type" with broad stripe down the back
    Welsummers 0 pullets have sharper V on head and more distinct dark line through eye
    Barred Hollands 2 cockerels have twice as much white on their feathers (look for lighter colored birds)
    Marans 4 cockerels have noticably larger comb

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia

3. cressrb

cressrb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Very interesting. I can't contribute because of my lack of knowledge, but I will be very interested in reading that list when you have completed. Thx.

4. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    This is a great idea! I was looking for something like this when we got our chicks on Saturday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by