At what age can babies go outside??? (florida)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fluffy-Butt-Farms, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    ok, the problem is that i dont have enough bators built. I have ee's that are 3+ weeks old, and have their wing feathers. we're in a "heat wave" again... and the juvi pen is totally enclosed. My dad is running electric to it tonight, and i was thinking i could have him made some kind of a box for them and install a lightbulb to provide heat.

just wondering.

also, the little buggers will be able to get thru 1 inch poultry wire won't they. thinking im gonna need some hardware cloth.

if you dont think them going out is ok yet, then i guess it's time to get another tote. lol

2. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Mine have been living outside with a heat lamp at night since they were 2 weeks--and I'm in north central Texas (DFW area). I think they would be just fine outside in Florida.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I am in FL too and have multiple babies outside full time now. I still bring the silkies in at night, only because they are so much smaller than everyone else. No need to have them plowed over during the morning rush to get out.

The few nights it did cool down I turned on their lamp, but recently with the heat they havent needed it. I think your with a lamp will be A-OK.

4. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    ty. i worry so much about them. my bf says i live in my closet. [​IMG] now i'll just have to "live" out in the juvi jail

5. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Welcome, and yes they might be able to get out through the current wire, Mine is covered in 1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth with no signs of problems of anything or one trying to get in at them.

6. cinnamongirl

cinnamongirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Deltona
    I'm in Florida too, with our first chicks and I've been wondering the same thing. I know everyone says they'll be fine. But I still wonder because of the way our winter here is...one day it's 90, the next night it could be 35, then back to 80 before noon the next day... Even humans have a hard time adjusting! I'm sure older chickens can handle the constant fluctuation, but what about the little ones? FLChickens? Is it like that in your part of Florida?

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I put mine out at 3 weeks. I had had enough of them inside...LOL

I put hay and i cut some plastic pots(door openings) and placed then in the cage. They huddle in theri at night to keep warm. If it dips really low, i will run a heat lamp to them. But we should be good for a while~

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Just watch the weather. At three weeks, they should have temps in the 80s. So you will need a draft free secure area probably with a heatlamp (at least for nighttime cooler temps). I put mine out in the coop at 2 1/2 weeks (w/heat lamp), but brought them in at night until they were 4 weeks. Then they began staying out in coop full time (still with lamp). Of course our temps are much cooler than yours.
    And unless your breeds are bantum, they probably can't get out of chicken wire, but they can stick their heads all the way out, which could be very dangerous if pets or predators can get to them.

9. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Quote:I am in the moderate zone as far as weather, no where near the panhandle at all [​IMG] The tropic of Cancer is 40 miles to the south and we keep warm temps into November. I do have a lamp set up and switch it on as needed right now. I also have nursery cages in an enclosed building that everyone can move to if the temps get silly. However I will be moved with their perm home set up before the December cool off. All of my little ones are loving the daytime turn out and the oldest (RIR) are good at going to bed at sundown now. My silkies not so much. I bring them inside every night so they stay warm.

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My first batch of chicks went out at 2 weeks. It was 70's in the day and 30-40's at night. They had a lamp over their sleeping area and if they wanted to be under it any other time they could.

My second (current) batch of chicks went out at close to 3 weeks, due to constant rain otherwise they would have been outside sooner. It's about 60-70's in the daytime and 40-50's at night. They are plenty warm under the 85watt bulb at night, and they can go under it during the day if they get cool (some days are windy)

I think that they feather out faster when they're outside. They definitely eat less starter because they are also getting bugs and grass - which I think is healthy for them. They sure do make a lot more dust in their 2nd to 3rd week!!!! I'm glad I always boot mine out, and they love it!

I have to use chicken wire (1" holes) until they're about 2 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by