At what age can I give treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChicaChicken, Apr 20, 2011.

1. ChicaChicken

ChicaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    Hello Everyone,

I was wondering at what age can I start giving treats? What do you recommend for 2 to 3 weeks old? (if thats not to early)

2. Nodaksnakelover

Nodaksnakelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    North Dakota
    mine are only four or five days old from the hatchery and they are loving their grated boiled egg every day. Makes for some finger happy chicks! I find it a good way to help tame them down. But it's similar to watching Jurassic Park all over again as they scramble in for some egg...

3. depends on how hard you want to laugh. My 2 Cochins, 1 americana and 1 Wyandot are just 9 days old or so and last night i took a piece of spaghetti and pinched off SUPER SMALL pieces like 1cm and put it on the tip of my finger. they kinda didnt care at all until one pecked at it andthey found out there is something else in life besides crumbles. it was so funny to watch them. I did not give them any bigger than that because i didnt want them to choke on it. That is the only thing i have let mine have yet.

by the way!
    [​IMG] from Ohio

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  4. ChicaChicken

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    I find it so hard to fatham they they will eat and like eggs [​IMG] I will have to try it.
    Thank you for the information!

5. oh they just LOVE scrambled or hardboiled eggs. it is so good for them too. you watch, once they get a bite of it everytime you come near them with some they will be bouncing off the walls.... "gimme some momma gimme some!!!!!"

6. LaStrawberryMom

LaStrawberryMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Louisiana
    Oh my goodness.... I witnessed the funniest sight ever! Placed our brooder in the backyard this weekend, so our babies (3 week olds) could get some fresh air and a view of the world. 2 babies discovered GRASS under them and pulled a couple pieces up. The chase was ON!!! 28 chasing 2 for some very small pieces of grass. I was laughing so hard I couldnt even take pictures of them anymore!

Planning to give them some boiled eggs or pasta this weekend. I have been slowly introducing grit into their diet first though. I have been so scared I am going to make them sick by giving them anything but starter feed.

7. they are just such entertainment for us arent they?

8. ChicaChicken

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    I just can't believe how fast they grow and how funny they are!!!! So far it is a blast!

9. LaStrawberryMom

LaStrawberryMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Louisiana
    I was so worried because they seemed so "dull" to begin with. Not "sick" just "dull". They scurried away when I opened the door and I was scared they would never "like" us? My how that changed in the past week. Now they are waiting for me to open the door and I have to make sure I dont close their little feet in it when I go to shut it. I even have a couple that pace back and forth along the edges peeping at me as to say "Hello.... I am WAITING for you!" lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by