At what Age can I give treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Audraleo, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Audraleo

Audraleo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    California
    I am new to baby chicks and mine are not quite a week old. My question is when can I give them fruits/veggies/mealworms... as treats. What is the right age. Right now they are just eating their baby chick starter crumbles. Thanks!

Audra
    mom to 3 baby girl chicks, and a few more to come today!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You can give them scrambled eggs now. I'd wait a bit for mealworms. They will need grit for other goodies.

:welcome

Glad you have joined the madness!

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    see this....

We don't really recommend feeding your new baby chicks treats right away, because they should first learn what their feed is so they will be able to get a balanced diet. Treats do not provide a balanced, nutritious diet, and it's important to give your chicks a good start in life.

Keep in mind that if the baby chicks are raised by mother hen, she will get them to eat anything good that she eats, right from the beginning. There is never an age that they are too young for free ranging or eating some specific food. They are hardy little birds. The big thing is to make sure they have what they need to properly digest what they eat, and that their diet is nutritious enough for them. They grow rapidly and need a lot of nutrition, so if they eat mostly treats, they may not get the balance of vitamins and minerals they need. When eating anything other than their finely milled starter, they will need grit in order to digest it properly. http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...can-my-chickens-begin-eating-treats-H119.aspx

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by