1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age can I move my chickens to the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KaseyS, Apr 27, 2016.

1. KaseyS

KaseyS New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    Bellingham Wa
    Hello,
    My chicks are about 5 weeks old almost fully feathered, like 90% feathered I would say. It drops down to the low 40's at night and our coop is kind of insulated but has some windows. Will my chicks be okay at night in the coop if I use a heat lamp? During the day we have been turing it off and putting them in the sun/shade in their enclosure and they are doing fine, I am just worried about at night..
    Any suggestions would be great thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If your coop holds the temperature during the night they should be fine, otherwise is your coop large enough to run a heat lamp? I will usually run mine at night if it's cooler and to help them transition to the coop, the light is familiar and comforting for them, so to have it on for a week or so at night can keep stress down.

1 person likes this.
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    At 5 weeks your birds should be plenty feathered to be outside. Are you still using a heat lamp inside or they are just in a brooder without heat? If your still using heat stop. Wait a few days then put them out. Even with enough feathers it's a shock to go from 90F to 20's at night. Take out the heat, get them better acclimated and know with all those feathers and 4 others to snuggle up with on cold nights they will be more than comfortable and certainly happier outside.

1 person likes this.
  4. KaseyS

KaseyS New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    Bellingham Wa
    thanks for the reply! Yes we still use the heat lamp because it gets low 40's and high 30's some nights next week though is supposed to stay around 50. I will turn the heat lamp off for a few days then put them out there and give it go! Here is what they look like.. Defiantly have feathers and they loved their outdoor field trip today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by