At What Age Can Pekin Ducklings.........

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by muscovy94, Mar 28, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Be put out by themselves? Because we plan on getting a few more ducklings from the feed store when they have them for easter and we are gonna let them free range with the other ducks.
    Is a month too young? I havent hatched ducks in a while so i don't remember how big they are at a month.

THanks.

2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I think you should keep them in a pen until they get feathers (1 1/2 to 2 months). I'm not sure what kind of predators you have around you, but foxs won't think twice about month old ducklings. Pekins will be hefty at a month but they should still have fluff. I definately wouldn't want them in the house for 2 full months though. Imagine the smell! [​IMG]

3. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    I'm keeping mine in until they feather out. Just to be safe. Our dogs don't let anything in the yard as far as coons. We built a pen in the yard that the dogs can get around and protect. Just play it safe.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I definately wouldn't want them in the house for 2 full months though.

Which is why I built an outdoor brooder out of a utility closet just outside the back door [​IMG]

1 heat lamp heats the whole thing but they wont need that for long.​

5. mawark

mawark Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    I put mine in a tractor at 4 weeks in early January. I let them out to rage with other ducks at 6 weeks.

6. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Ok thanks yall. We have LOTS of foxes where I live so I will just wait till they are atleast a month and a half or two before i let them free range.

7. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    i have a question. Could someone post a pic of what they look like at a month to a month and a half if you have one. I couldn't find one on google go figure....

8. duck boy

duck boy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2009
    um well it needs to be warm and u can let them out during the day but always lock them up at night and a month is a little early, also remember if u have hawks or falcons there not afraid to go after them i had some close calls last year with that.

p.s i will try to upload a pic of some of mine from last year for ya

9. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Quote:Thanks i would appreciate it!! [​IMG]

10. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    At around 4 weeks I let my ducklings into a pen I made, at 5 weeks I lightly supervised (checked on them evry half hour) them in the pool, at 6 weeks I could leave them with the pool by themselves all day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by