1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

at what age can they go in with the older ones

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenbottom, Oct 23, 2009.

1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    at what age can the new babies go in with the big girls? my 10 big girls and mike are a little over 9 months (9mo & 11 days exactly) and clairese star and noodle are over a year of age. the new babies yam and button are 2 weeks old yesterday and the babies i got yesterday are 2 days. i know they have to be fully feathered but im not to sure on the age and how big they will be.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    at 6 weeks they should be fully feathered but can they fend for themselves? or im still confused about this

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I would worry about them getting picked on by the larger birds. I keep mine separate until they are roughly the same size, just to even things up and give them a fighting chance. Also let them live next to each other for a while (week or two), so they can see each other but not interact, before allowing them together.

4. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    this is kind of hard because i only have one coop and its on my friends property so i dont think building anything else would work. and i live on land where poultry isnt allowed so i can keep them here until they are actually old enough to fend for themselves.

5. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    work with your friend to build the babies their own temporary pen inside the other chickens pen. Put them out when their fully feathered, and leave them in till their big enough to fend for themselves.

6. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i think i can work something out what about 12 weeks to 14 weeks? its just been a long time since i had biddies but ive never had to integrate any into my eldest flock. [​IMG] lol

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  7. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i really need help with this please. what age do yall integrate yours? do they have to be near 20 weeks? what about the feed how can i feed the young girls grower and the layers layer? the second coop being there is difficult for me to do since its not my property and it isnt suppose to be permanent. sorry about all the questions i just need answers. thank you in advance as well.

8. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    What I plan to do is use poultry netting to partition off one end of the run. Inside one area will be the regular coop with the big birds. The little birds will have a dog crate coop on their end. When the little ones are old enough I can take away the poultry netting and allow the two groups to mingle. I may leave the dog crate in the run for awhile to see if the younger chickens will choose to use the regular coop. If things don't go well the netting can be easily be put back in place. If things go really well the netting and crate can be removed permanently. Would anything similar work for you?

9. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    that might actually work for me i just have to find some netting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by