AT WHAT AGE CAN YOU FEED CHICKS TREATS???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sandyj, Apr 4, 2009.

1. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    I have 6 chicks that are up to 2 weeks old (some younger). How long should they only eat their grower chick feed? When can I start giving treats? Gravel? [​IMG]

sandyj

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I give my babies spaghetti noodles at about 2 weeks. It is so fun to watch them grab it and run around. The others chirping and chasing!!

I think if you check the learning section here it gives you guidelines on what to feed and when if you are looking for more info.

Have fun with those fuzzy butts!!

3. sandyj

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    Do you give them a long noodle, or do you have to cut them up? Thank for the info!!!!

sandyj

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I use a long noodle and hold onto it. Then they tear a piece from it. I think it resembles a worm to them. If you wiggle it around a little they should go crazy!! Have fun!!

Also try a little yogurt. Mine loved the kind with fruit in it. They jump right in and dig for the fruit chunks! Yogurt flying everywhere! A Kodak moment!! [​IMG]

5. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have 6 4 weeks old chicks in with the hatching mommas and they have been eating the treats along with the momma birds for a couple of weeks. In fact they run ahead when they seem me coming in anticipation of treats.

6. sandyj

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    So, should they be getting the grit when they eat the treats??

sandyj

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by