At what age can you tell gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aShMaNv, Jul 11, 2010.

1. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Songster

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    I have eight chicks that are 5 weeks old. There are three that look like their tails are way longer so i automatically assumed that these are roos. Then there is one that has a pointed tail like a roo but it is extremely short. Are there any other indicators that could help me out? And what age should the chicks start to crow or lay? O and they are barred rock, rir, and australorps.

2. First off, welcome to BYC
    Now back to your question. There are many different ways to sex chicks. Some are tried and true and others are old time methods. It is difficult at the age that yours are at as they are in a great transition. When chicks are first hatched they can be vent sexed, feather sexed or color sexed depending on the breed. At six weeks, most chicks are fully feathered. On many breeds but not all, the pullets will get their tail feathers first. This is usually easiest to spot when they are about a week old. On newly hatched Barred Rocks you can usually tell by the spot on their heads. The pullets will have a well formed circle spot or no spot on their head while the cockerals spot will be larger and mis-shapened. On newly hatched chicks most can be feather sexed with the pullets having two distinct rows of feathers and the cockerals having what appears as one row. At the age of your birds now, you can check the hackle and saddle feathers. There should be new feathers coming in that will appear pointed on the cockerals and rounded on the pullets. But your best bet now is to wait another 6 weeks and it will be quite evident of which are which. Plus the cockerals should start trying to crow at 12 to 16 weeks. Depending on the breeding stock you got your chicks from you could expect your first eggs anywhere between 18 and 28 weeks of age.

3. aShMaNv

aShMaNv Songster

Jul 9, 2010
    Choctaw, OK
    Ok great [​IMG] That was very helpful. I just wish i would have really paid more attention to those things when they were younger, because now there at a stage where they are tough to tell for me.. [​IMG] I will try to get some pics up soon so you can see what im working with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by