At what age can you tell if a chick is a male or female?

Aseel-lover

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 22, 2014
I have 3 chicks they are about 8-9 weeks old. If I post some pictures can anyone tell me if they are male or female? Thank you

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, you can post some pics here or in our What Breed and Gender section for some good ID....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Enjoy your chicken adventures and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Professionals can vent sex (and wing sex some breeds) chicks the day they hatch. Sex Linked chickens can be sexed by color from hatching. No matter what breed you have, 8-9 weeks is plenty old enough to sex them from a full body, side profile photo. Definitely post their pics on our What Breed or Gender is This? link that TwoCrows gave you and let our experts there take a look at them for you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Professionals can vent sex (and wing sex some breeds) chicks the day they hatch. Sex Linked chickens can be sexed by color from hatching. No matter what breed you have, 8-9 weeks is plenty old enough to sex them from a full body, side profile photo. Definitely post their pics on our What Breed or Gender is This? link that TwoCrows gave you and let our experts there take a look at them for you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

For help sexing your birds, I would be sure to post photos of them in the What Breed or Gender is This? section of the forums. 8-9 weeks is old enough to sex birds by their appearance. The cockerels will have larger, redder combs and wattles, and might begin crowing soon.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

X2 on Bantamlover21. I'd post in the What Breed or Gender section for some good answers.

Good luck with your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom