At what age can you tell if your chicks are roosters or pullets?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2go2scotland, Oct 21, 2013.

1. 2go2scotland

2go2scotland Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    We have four chicks hatched out naturally by their moms. Two of them are 12 weeks old and on their own--in the flock with their mom, but mom is not caring for them any more----and two of them are 10 weeks old and mom is still taking care of them. Their father is a Speckled Sussex and their mothers are either Marans or a Black Austrolorp, so all the chicks are black. One chick has copper or red all down it's neck and chest. Two are raven black like the BA hen--and the other is a lighter shade of black with some white. Two of them have tail feathers that stick up--but, my BA hen looks like her tail feathers stick up too. So--are these roos or chcks? How long before I can know for certain?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You might want to try posting pictures of your chicks on the What Breed or Gender Is This board https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this At what age you can tell depends on the individual chick and breed, some chicks you can tell pretty early, others keep you guessing for a long time... until they crow or lay eggs.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It should be pretty easy by now. Post pictures in the breed/gender section.

4. 2go2scotland

Oct 9, 2013
    OK--I'll try to get some pictures and do just that. Thank you for the suggestion. Really hoping they aren't little roos--but, we'll see. Right now, our rooster, King Arthur tolerates them in the flock and even sits beside them--he also helped feed them when they were younger. So, wishfully--I'm hoping he'd allow them to stay![​IMG]

5. 2go2scotland

Oct 9, 2013
    Okay--I tried to get pictures of at least two of the chickens. They are almost 9 weeks old in these pictures. I doubt you can tell--they wouldn't stand still! But--any hope of being able to guess if either of them is a rooster? (Dad is a Speckled Sussex and Mom is either a Black Australop or a Blue Maran>)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If they are both 12 weeks, those are both pullets.

7. 2go2scotland

Oct 9, 2013
    Thanks so much. I thought so too--sadly, tonight when I counted chickens in the barn--one of these babies is missing. Not a good sign.

I'll have to take a picture of the other two--I think one is a little rooster and I just want to see if I am able to tell. WIll try to take their picture tomorrow--so give a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by