1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

at what age can you tell male/female turkey apart?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by allmypeeps, Sep 5, 2012.

1. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    I have 4 pet Narragansette turkey that are about 3 months old....snoods are all small, necks are just starting to turn reddish with a hint of blue/gray? but heads are still kind of sprinkled with tiny feathers. No one has attempted to strutt or display. I was hoping for 2 of each sex but I think I have all one- just not sure which. No one is making any distinctive sounds yet either...

When do the snoods develop- at what age should I be able to tell what sex I have by external features.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    By 12 weeks you should have a good feel. Tom narragansetts will be darker than hens, and the breast feathers will appear dark-tipped. Hens will have light tipped feathers just like bronzes. If none of the snoods have elongated yet, it sounds like you have all hens.

3. frank53061

frank53061 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with LAGERDOGGER if you don't see a major difference in them in size and snood size you may have all Hens unless you have a late bloomer I had 2 that I thought were Hens at first but finally came in to bloom.
    This is not a problem unless you wanted to breed them and if you do .
    Keep your fingers crossed or keep an eye out to buy a Tom.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by