1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

at what age can you tell male from female ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickengr, Feb 1, 2015.

1. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    hi,
    I am thinking to get 2 female ducks, probably khaki campbell or white layer if I find them. if not then muscovy ducks. I prefer to get the younger ones but I need to know how to be sure they are females.

another question is: will they be ok with chicken? they will be on the ground of the coop and chicken are on the different level of the coop (a kind of the 1st floor) but the common run.

can they help in numbering females per rooster (I mean can I have 2 hens less per rooster)?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    For your last question, I don't think so.

If you house them together, put something like a board under the chicken roost so ducks don't get pooped on, is what I would do.

There are many members with both chickens and ducks, and I hope they check in soon.

3. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    thank you for your answer. my coop is on 3 separate levels, like 3 floors with 3 doors. the ground floor is for ducks and the other 2 levels are meant for 2 small flocks of chickens. I have got a surprise cockerel so it is good I can keep my cockerels apart. at the moment they are young and not fighting but I must get more girls as soon as possible.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    With Runners, you can tell from their voices as young as 4 weeks, but some may take longer.

5. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    About 4 weeks with the voice sexing or you could wait until they molt into their juvenile feathers , where the boys begin to get the curly tail.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by