At what age did your girls start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by realsis, Feb 26, 2014.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I just was wondering about what age different people's chickens start laying.in my own flocks I've had them start as early as 6 months to as late as 8 months. My flocks have always been silkies. They seem to start a bit later than other breeds. My new chicks are now at 6 months and I've not seen any crouching yet so I'm guessing these will be on the later side. I was curious about other people's flocks? So when did your girls start laying?

2. Gldnrose

Gldnrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    GreenMountains/Vermont
    I have 5 Buff Orpingtons and two started laying at 28 weeks, the others followed within two weeks after that.
    I had a rooster at the time and no one squatted around me. I no longer have the rooster and now I can't even walk by one without someone squatting.

3. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes that's always been my first sign that they will begin to lay. With my flocks after they start squatting eggs came within that week. My up coming girls are now about 26 weeks. I haven't had any squatting. I can't wait until they start! Then I know eggs will be coming soon!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I had one Silkie wait more than a year to lay her first egg. A Leghorn I got from a hatchery started laying a little bit after she turned 4 months old, she died from a prolapse a few months later :(

5. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Wow! I hope these girls don't make me wait a year! ! That's the longest I've heard yet. Silkies do seem to take a little longer but a year! !! Wow I bet you were beginning to think she just won't lay! That's the oldest I've heard of yet!

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    She made me wonder! I've never had another one wait that long. Usually my Silkies start somewhere around 6-8 months, she just had to be a pain [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by