At what age do Black Australorps begin to lay their first eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TwoCrows, Jul 5, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My Aussie girls are 17 weeks old tomorrow. They are just now beginning to get their combs and wattles in and a couple of the girls are beginning to get red in the combs and wattles just a bit. I am going thru 50 pounds of chick starter a month and I am down to my last bag. So I am not sure if I need another bag.

So my question is, at what week should I start to see some eggs?

Thanks...Leyla [​IMG]

2. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    At 17 weeks you can have them on lay feed now, they can start laying at any time now!

3. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Arizona
    Probably in a few weeks.

4. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I would go ahead and switch to layer feed. I would love to see pictures of your australorps. I have one that is 16 weeks and she still has a tiny comb and waddles and hardly any red.

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:Here they are this past weekend. The girl in the middle, Pearl is really getting her comb and wattles in now!

[​IMG]

Rickba, chickmama72 and fmaphis like this.
  6. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Nice looking birds and that stump they are on is a great idea. I have such a small yard that I can't build a big coop so I have one of those chicken arks that I move around the yard, but I do let them run around in the evening. I might have to find an old stump like that. My buff orpington has huge comb and waddles that are getting bright red, I think my black australorp is just a little behind yours.

1 person likes this.
  7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks for all the great replies! Yes, they do love to climb around on that burly log. I see them up there every evening. There is also an old wooden ladder in the back that they like to perch on too.

Well, I will keep my eyes open for my first egg! I am so excited already and I am sure I will burst with joy when I eventually find it!

Thanks all....Leyla

8. meowmmy65

meowmmy65 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Toledo
    My Australorp just turned 14 weeks and her comb and wattle is already getting reddish - more so than my other 5 hens who are the same age. I think she will be my first to lay. I'll have to see if I can find a picture. It's so exciting. I can't wait to get my first eggs!

9. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    This is Alexis at 22 weeks. She's now 26 weeks, comb and wattles much bigger and brighter. She has not laid yet and just started squatting a few days ago.

[​IMG]

10. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My three started laying after about 26/27 weeks.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by