1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age do chicks become chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JanetR, Jun 29, 2011.

1. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    I will probably always call them chickies but just wondering if there is a particular age or stage when the name changes. [​IMG]

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    When they crow or lay? I think it's a personal decision really. I stop calling mine chicks when they get their "big girl" feathers all in. [​IMG]

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Okay, first if they are yours, you can all them chicks forever. However, once they stop peeping and you know what they are (sex that is), under a year they are Cockerals and Pullets, over a year they are roosters and hens. I think they are chickens always.

Edited to add I'm still new but my husband asked me a while ago and this what I found in searching [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Chicken always a chicken regardless of developmental stage. Following are stages I use that to me are biologically significant.

Stages
    Embryo - used interchangeably with egg
    Chick - until down on head replaced by feathers
    Juvenile by sex female (pullet) and male (cockerol / stag) until 1st adult feather starts
    Subadult transition into 1st full adult feathers
    Adult 1st adult feather set complete
    Hen (produced first egg)
    Cock is male in second or greater full adult feather set (> 18 months)
    Rooster used on this sight for any age bird that can be ID as male.

5. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    Makes sense. Thanks! [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    In the UK and Ireland adult male chickens are primarily known as cocks, whereas in America, Canada and Australia they are more commonly called roosters. Males under a year old are cockerels. Castrated roosters are called capons (surgical and chemical castration are now illegal in some parts of the world). Females over a year old are known as hens, and younger females are pullets.

7. chicken-herder

chicken-herder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Great thanks! I am taking a screenshot of this. I have 3 chicks of 7 weeks- two of which are roos :rolleyes: now I need more little hens but I am concerned as to the age of chick I should introduce to my guys? Any advice?

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'd personally wait until they lay.at that point they are sexually mature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by