At what age do chicks dodge the "Cocci bullet"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CutestChickenFarmer, Jul 26, 2007.

1. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    Hi everybody. I didn't want to hijack a similar thread, but how old are chicks before this is no longer a problem. Or does it continue to be a threat? Please advise. Thanks a million!

Susan

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are most susceptible when they are young or raised in the summer and rains hit, but it is always a threat. I feel it is the most threat when they are under 6 weeks old or if they were raised all summer in dry weather and the rain hits regardless of age.

It might not be the best practice but I "contaminate" my "day olds" with the older birds by letting them play in some dirt not from in the day coop but from like outside the run so they develop an immunity faster. I figure if momma hen is going to hatch chicks and they are going to wander though the muck, a little bit won't hurt.

3. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    So, mine are 12 weeks now -can I slowly switch them off medicated feed to non medicated? I would prefer to stop medicating them well before they hatch. I just wasn't sure at what age to stop- because I want to AVOID cocci.

4. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Personally, I would leave them on medicated feed until they start to lay, then switch to layer feed. It is not worth taking the risk. Cocci is not fun to deal with.

The Amprolium in medicated feed is not an antibiotic. It is a thiamin blocker. Bactrim which is an antibiotic, is sometimes added to chick feed. If you have Bactrim in your feed and don't want to feed antibiotics, you probably can find a brand with just amprolium.

5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    If they have never been exposed to cocci its always a threat no matter how old they are. they have to have immunity to all 9 species of coccidia that effects chickens. without exposure there is no immunity.
    chicks hatched and reared on free range ingest so little of the oocyst at each feeding that it gives them time to build immunity, as opposed to chicks reared in a brooder, then put on dirt, and them ingesting so many oocyst that it overwhelms them

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:No, it's not fun to deal with at all. And it's expensive, too. The only way I know how to get those meds is through a vet. I can't get the meds unless I bring the bird in (at $100 a bird). I mean, give me a break.
    Does anyone know how to get the medication without an Rx?

7. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    You should be able to find Corid or Amprol or Amprolium on-line. Try the various poultry suppliers like Jeffers, Double R Discount, First State Vet, etc.

The powder is cheaper than the liquid, but hard to find this time of year. You may also find it at TSC or another feed store.

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Thanks, Allen Wranch. It just kills me that a fecal float costs $20 (I can just take the sample in, no bird), they tell me that, Yep, the bird has coccidia... But I have to bring the bird IN to get the meds!! So, pretty much, I bring my bird in, the vet looks at her and says, "Yep, that's a chicken", gives me the meds and charges me an additional $80! [​IMG]
    Fight as I might, they will not give me meds without me bringing the bird in. Thieves!!

9. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    There are quite a few places online that sell pet meds. You pay they, they send it to you. Just Dogpile it. (Search engine, I dislike Google.) Carri you know anyone with the last name Larsen out there? I used to live in the 909 but its to ghetto now [​IMG][​IMG] jk

Bubba

10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Hey Bubba, just want to reinforce your suggestion to use Dogpile as a search engine. Once you use dogpile there is no reason to use any other since it encompasses all the search engines. It is the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by