At what age do cockerels mature and start crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Delight30, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Delight30

Delight30 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an EE cockerel about 12wks old. I know it is a boy because of the feathering and over look of this bird, but we have not had any crowing yet and I was wondering when he would start showing an interest in our girls. We have 5 girls that are 18wks and the other 5 are 12wks. [​IMG]

This picture was taken at 10wks.

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    All boys mature at their own rate, some start crowing as baby chicks others not until 20ish weeks, some if there are other roos hardly ever crow at all. Yes when he is old enough he will be interested in the girls, and If he is the only roo he will crow in his time.

3. Delight30

Thanks Kassaundra.... He is the only roo so far. I have 8 4wk old pullets, but who knows how many will be roo''s too!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Whenever they want to. I have had a chick crow at 1 DAY old.

5. thepouts

thepouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    The youngest I've had a roo crow is 9 weeks

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The earliest I've ever had a cockerel crow was one in the brooder, at 3 weeks old. Most attempt it by 12 weeks, but some don't crow if there are other mature, crowing roosters in the flock.

1 person likes this.
  7. Delight30

Thank you all for the information. He is my only boy, so far and since we are in a very rural area, I am excited to hear him crow. I am a city girl and I am really enjoying my chickens. Thanks again.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Here is the video:

2 people like this.
  9. KrazyChromatics

KrazyChromatics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2013
    Northern NY
    the first peep he made i thought naw that wasnt a crow.. but the second time... its hard to ignore the rhythm and extended neck .... thats interesting... earliest i had was a 2 or 3 week old bantam....

10. bumble bee

bumble bee New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks...mine is 4 1/2 months old and no crowing so I was just curious as when to expect it :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by