at what age do hens lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ECarter1217, Feb 24, 2017.

1. ECarter1217

ECarter1217 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2017
    meridian ms
    i have 2 hens that are 25 weeks and have not layed one egg what am i doing wrong i have them on the laying pellets
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Some breeds mature faster than others. Generally they lay their first egg by six months but that's not a hard and fast rule. Also if you let them free range they could be laying somewhere other than the coop. Also, we are not getting a lot of daylight this time of year, and that also effects how much a bird is laying or whether it lays at all.

On a side note, it looks a lot like you have a prefab coop. Those are generally not a good idea and it might not be big enough for your birds. Plus they're really not made well and do not hold up to the elements well at all.

3. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    Do they squat when you reach down to pet them? It isn't subtle-if they are you'll know exactly what I mean. That's a sign that they're sexually mature and will lay soon. I don't know if every pullet squats before she lays but all of mine did.

They'll lay when they're ready, unfortunately. My RIR was the last in my flock to lay-somewhere around 26 weeks if I remember correctly.

4. ECarter1217

ECarter1217 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2017
    meridian ms
    ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by