At what age do hens quit chirping like babies and start boking?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WyoChickenMamma, Jul 26, 2011.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Just curious. I have some pullets that seem to never make a sound, some that do the bok, bok ba Gock thing and a few that are still chirping like little babies, even though they were supposedly hatched in March. Just seems they should be growing out of the baby bird chirp.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Around 8-9 weeks, in my experience.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Mine started around 12 weeks, and it was more of a suprised noise when I picked one up. They now cluck, mumble, and 'growl' like big chickens! Not gonna lie, I like their adult voices better than their baby ones!

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I've been wondering about that, too....so good to know! I think I will miss their chirps and trills, though.

5. WyoChickenMamma

Jul 6, 2011
    Hmmmm...well that is interesting, I have several that I bought about a week and a half ago that are still chirping. She told me they were all 17-19 weeks old and were hatched in March. I have been feeding them layer feed. Is there a way to tell by looking at them? Perhaps they have just not found their voice???? [​IMG] Here are two pics of some that still chirp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I have a 13 week old BR rooster with a HUGE comb and wattles, and he still chirps like a chick. It seems like as long as we treat him like a chick (bringing treats to him by hand) he continues to chirp. He also has developed a deep duck-like clucking noise. I'm curious too.[​IMG]

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    11-12 weeks of age. [​IMG]

8. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Some of ours have started clucking/bocking around 4 months, others don't start until much later.

9. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Sorry, they're not machines so you won't know when it happens until all of a sudden you don't hear it anymore and then you'll miss hearing it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  10. WyoChickenMamma

Jul 6, 2011
    I really don't mind the chirping, I think it is sweet, but I am most worried about not feeding them the appropriate feed. I have been feeding them layer pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by