1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age do hens stop laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cleoandtheo, May 23, 2010.

1. cleoandtheo

cleoandtheo Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess I assumed that they layed eggs throughout their whole lives, but maybe not???

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    California
    It depends a lot on the hen. Some slow down after the first year or so, some keep laying a lot longer. [​IMG]

3. With the exception of production birds who only lay a little over a year, other birds usally lay well for 2 or 3 years. then they start to not lay as many but still lay. The longest layer was a RIR that layed eggs to 10 years of age!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Most folks find that egg production falls off a little after the first 2 years or so. Many continue to lay for years, but not as often as when they were "spring chickens."

5. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, didn't know if that was better or better to start anew??

I have 4 BR hens that are about 1yr 8 mos & their production has slowed WAY, WAY down.
    Any ways to help boost laying for these young ladies? [​IMG]

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That sounds like a seasonal issue, not an age issue. Fall molts and shorter days can both effect laying. As pullets, they aren't as effected. As adult hens, you see the normal seasonal rhythms of their laying, when going broody, molting or short winter days can effect them.

Some people choose to add supplemental lighting in winter and some people don't. There have been a lot of threads on the pros and cons of supplemental lighting. You might want to check them out. Otherwise, laying should pick up again in the spring, when the days get longer.

7. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Thanks for the response, that makes more sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by