1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age do I seperate the roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Maryallison, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Hey there! I have a coop of like 20 chickens all will be 5 months old tomorrow. 6 are roosters & they all live together. Only 2 crow and so far no real fights. What age do I need to seperate them? If they are all happy can I leave them for awhile. After they start laying I will group them up and seperate so I can hatch chicks....but for now are they just fine? [​IMG]

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Depending on the breed and temperment, they may not need to be separated. Some roos that are raised together are fine being kept together. You may find that only 1 or 2 are a problem. I wouldn't worry about separating them until you feel it is necessary. We had 22 roos and kept them together until it was time to get rid of the extra roos. No problem...even at 6 mos old with 9 or so left!

3. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    I have three Roo's and 11 girls. 12 eggs baking.....but they all live together in harmony but we also free range so they have plenty of room to roam!

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Our roos live together from the old and wise-most of the time to the young full of ego Spring roos. They do some chest fluffing and ego boosting other than that they get along fine with each other and you will see them snuggling on the roost together.If you have more than 2 you have the King but it's hard to get the lower order established so they don't try as hard.

5. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    My MIL has all her roos together, no hens and they are fine. [​IMG]

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by