At What Age Do Male Ducks.......

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mandylovespets, Apr 23, 2008.

1. mandylovespets

mandylovespets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    At what age do male ducks (Pekin's) normally get their drake feather? Mallard's don't get a drake feather is this correct???.....

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

All male ducks get a drake feather.....I haven't hatched any ducklings for a couple years and I"m really not sure when they get it....my memory isn't like it used to be!! [​IMG]

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It's not their age as much as the season.

4. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    It's not their age as much as the season.

so what season do they get thier drake feather? I've been watching mine, and haven't seen one yet (one is *supposed* to be male)​

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    late Summer, early fall they'll go into nuptial plumage. Up until then, the sexes have their baby suits on and I don't think you'll be able to tell them apart.

6. mommy9994

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    so is that when she will start laying too? I know, someone as "duck stupid" as I am, shouldn't have them-- darn TSC!

7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:Ah Ah Ah, Muscovies do NOT get the curly feather. [​IMG]

8. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    You can sex them when they start to quack. Most ducks (with exceptions such as muscovies, mandarins, etc...) have mallard in their background. The hens have a loud quack, drakes are quieter and raspy (like they have a sore throat).

9. mommy9994

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    You can sex them when they start to quack. Most ducks (with exceptions such as muscovies, mandarins, etc...) have mallard in their background. The hens have a loud quack, drakes are quieter and raspy (like they have a sore throat).

I do remember reading that now. The girls start quacking earlier too don't they? in that case, the one that is supposed to be a girl, would indeed be a girl, and the boy is indeed a boy. Do male ducks also "protect" thier hens? I let the 5 week old chicks out for a bit, and they wanted to follow the ducks. Well, the ducks were scared to death of them, and every once in a while, Ducky Lucky would get up the courage to try to "protect" Quackers from the big bad chickies LOL (I put the chicks up so they wouldn't get hurt)​

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Ah Ah Ah, Muscovies do NOT get the curly feather. [​IMG]

really? I didn't know that! I stand corrected [​IMG] I haven't been around any muscovies since I was a kid a loooooooong time ago, so I'll use that as my excuse!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by