At what age do roos begin to crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheirogloss, Sep 3, 2009.

1. cheirogloss

cheirogloss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Lenoir, NC
    We have what is believed to be (based on votes on the "What gender am I?" page) a BO rooster. No crowing yet, but if he is a he, when should we expect him to begin crowing?

2. Back40

Back40 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    My Polish started crowing in a tiny voice at about 4 months... he is now 6 months, and wakes me every morning at around 5:00 a.m., before sunup. It's nice, and I enjoy hearing him everyday.

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My beautiful BO roo started crowing at almost 20 weeks old.. It was a funny little crow and it threw him 'off balance' --he staggered around at the end of it.. He's now 26weeks old and he has a nice crow--loud enough but not too loud... I hope you enjoy it as much as we do...

4. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    2 of my australorp roosters first crowed at 14 weeks, but I had an EE rooster that didn't crow until he was 21 weeks old

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  5. WestTexasFarmboy

WestTexasFarmboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    Wilson, Texas
    My Dominique roo Big Mike started his weak little teenage crow at about 10 weeks, which was WAY earlier than I expected. He doesnt do it every morning, I have only caught him twice actually, but he may start earlier than I wake up. You for sure couldnt hear him from the house. They (he) are all 12 weeks old this week.

6. ARchick

ARchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2009
    East Arkansas
    My bearded d'uccle bantam roos started crowing at 8 weeks. I have a BO roo that I bought at the same time and he still hasn't crowed. They're 12 weeks old now & the little bantam's crow their heads off every morning.

7. Owner of Elvis

Owner of Elvis Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2009
    I have 3 Barred rocks...one crowed at 11 weeks, one at 16 weeks and another first today at 26 weeks!

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    my BR cockerel is 6 months and my NHR is 7 months and they both crow but the NHR is way better at it than the BR the BR sounds like a donkey or something!!! o my EE he is 9 months and no crow

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2009
  9. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My comets crow all day long and way after dark. I enjoy the music.

10. DiamondJFarms.com

DiamondJFarms.com Out Of The Brooder

My Cuckoo Marans rooster (from McMurray Hatchery) crowed on the day he turned 11 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by