At what age do roos sexually mature?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rachel'sFlock, Mar 14, 2011.

1. I have 7 straight run Australorp peeps on their way to me, which basically means to me that roughly half will be roos (is that about right?)
    The pullets of this flock will be added to my existing flock of 6 one-year-olds.
    Statistically speaking, I will still only have enough hens for one roo, and thus the others will need to be rehomed.
    How long before a roo is recognizably a roo? At what age do Australorp roos become sexually mature?
    I have never had a straight run group before, and obviously have a hundred stupid questions to ask the experts. I am so grateful I know just where to find them!
    Thanks, in advance, as always!

Bright Blessings!

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I thought my Australorp was a hen until he was about 7 or 8 months old as he was the last to crow. I had no hens to compare him to and no real knowledge of chickens. All three of my straight run chicks turned out to be male. [​IMG] I do know larger breeds take longer to mature. And all of mine bit me for the first time just before they started crowing.

3. Thanks for the quick response Taz!
    I do hope all 7 of my peeps do not turn out to be roos. Not sure I can find that many homes for them! Also, my girls are due to molt come fall, and I was sort of hoping for at least a few to make my husband's breakfast! I would hate to have to buy eggs at the store again!
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: