At what age do Roos show themselves?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lbartsch, Aug 4, 2011.

1. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    We keep wondering if one of our chickies is a roo because she's bigger than the rest and her comb is getting red faster than the others. But she's also really passive and her tail feathers grew in really fast. S/he is about 6 weeks old now. When will we finally know for sure (and how)? My daughter has really bonded with this one and is really worried about it. By law we can't keep roosters in Oakland where we live. Thanks!

2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Pictures

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    A red comb at 6 weeks would be suspect to me too. Can you post pics?

4. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    I cannot figure out how to post a picture in my message. How do i do that? I'll have to figure that out and then take one in the morning because the chickies are all asleep already.

5. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    My 'girls' are 10 weeks and 3 days old today. I heard a wobbly crow this morning, and it was one that I could have sworn was a pullet...oh well.

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Go up to uploads on the top bar. [​IMG]

7. big m70726

big m70726 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    I am wonder my self my husband came home with some chicks for easter still have no idea what they are then my 67 yr old neighbor wanted rhonde islande red and domque so I had to by them as striaght runs still haven't a clue to what we have and there about 4 or 5 mo now . IDK how to post pics but I have 10 chicks a goose and 4 ducks were all babies when we got them and yes their all in the same pen. Everyone gets along great would love to know if we have any roos and when they will crow .

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    You might see a bit of pink on a pullet at 6 weeks. The lead pullet also might grow faster because she's claiming first place at the feeder. BUT, if the comb is growing and red, it's pretty safe bet it's a cockerel. And yes, post pictures and there's a good chance people here will be able to tell you with some degree of certainty.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  10. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Here's the promised photos. Any help determining if she's a he would be great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by