At what age do roos start crowing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lbartsch, Aug 11, 2011.

1. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Everyday I am worried I'll hear a crow and have to give one of our birds away. They're about 8 weeks old now. How many weeks till I can relax if I don't hear anything crowish?

Thanks!

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    It really depends on the breed and the individual chicken. Some breeds mature quickly and some slowly. Some cockerels will crow as early as 7 weeks. I saw your thread with pics of your chicks. You'll likely have warning before anyone crows. They will have a larger redder comb than the girls before they crow. None of yours looked particularly masculine yet.

3. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Thanks. I appreciate your help!

4. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    My buff orpington started at 4 weeks. Kinda thought something was going on with the size of the comb and wattle. I does not do it all day. I does 3 errrr errrr errrs in sets of 3.
    One set around 10am and the other around 2 pm.

5. danniboi1990

danniboi1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Coventry
    if you have an older cockeral they start earlier as the young ones copy the older ones... my b.o cockeral took months to crow.. now he only does it in session in the day. a few times in the morning then afternoon.. he also crows when the water runs out which is handy [​IMG]

6. kpsullivan

kpsullivan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    My roo started with little practice crows about 8 weeks. He sounded like a rusty hinge for a long time! Now he crows at 5:15 am and continues til I let him out of the coop for the day. Then he crows whenever he breeds, when someone drives up (which is handy!) and when he's just feeling good![​IMG]

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I remember a while ago someone posted a video of a 2 week old chick crowing. I think it was a silkie. That's fairly unusual though.

My roos usually start crowing at round about 4 or 5 months...

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    My EE boy was 14 weeks and very obviously a cockerel before he started crowing. So far, he's all about making the morning announcements and then he goes mute the rest of the day.

9. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    One of my EE's started at about 8 weeks.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have an Icelandic roo that had a full fledged crow at 8 weeks... and he is amazing looking....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by