at what age do rrosters start "being roosters"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mandersn, Oct 22, 2014.

1. mandersn

mandersn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2014
    I have a flock of 36 week old hens and 1 rooster, I added another flock of mixed 16 week old birds, not yet sure of sex but think most are roosters. (I added them to flock at 8 weeks). I haven't noticed any problems yet, but wondered if I should anticipate any before I butcher the roos at 22 weeks. My hens are not laying like they were and not sure why, could be lots of reasons I guess, just thought maybe to many roosters could be part of it. ?????

2. Mulberry

Mulberry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    Romania
    I don't thing so. I always gave my roosters with the hens before we eat them. It's never been a problem. Easiest way to tel when they reach maturity when they have big red combs and starting to mate with your hens and getting into serious fight with each other usuly around 6-10 month old Sometime hens lay less eggs in cold wether and the luck of sunlight also can affect them.

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Before long your roos will start to squabble over dominance, if they're not already. I usually butcher anywhere from 16-24 weeks old. I have some 17 week old roos right now but so far everything is peaceful. I plan on removing them next week. My hens are still laying like normal. Sometimes my hens slow down on laying for a week or so and then go right back at it full blast. I have never been able to pinpoint a reason for it. I just assumed it was normal. Hopefully some more folks her can chime in with more advice.

4. mandersn

mandersn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks you for your reply, I'm not even sure yet which are roos and which are hens. I love this.."I gotta get more chickens, a pig, and some goats. And maybe a donkey. And more chickens. And some ducks and maybe a cow or three. Oh...and did I say more chickens?" You sound like me, lol!!

5. Mulberry

Oct 14, 2014
    Romania
    Haha I got some pigs pot bellyed, five in total they so smart they use a corner in the yard to empty them selfs. One of them got lost in my woods and after a week come back. So clever.

6. mtngirl35

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    [​IMG] Yeah we're hoping to buy a farm in a couple of years. I won't be happy til I'm overrun with critters!

7. Mulberry

Oct 14, 2014
    Romania
    Good luck with it get it sooner than later. :) it's like a fairy tale.

1 person likes this.
  8. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I live on a 10 acre farm and I am overrun with critters, along with all the pets my family members want to retire at our place! I recently inherited 2 lionshead rabbits - Loki and Asa.

9. mtngirl35

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I hope so. I want to spend as much time as possible tending a garden and taking care of animals. My family raised all kinds of animals and a huge garden when I was growing up and I really miss it.

10. mtngirl35

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Can you sense my envy? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by