At what age do silkie roosters start roostering?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joebryant, Jul 16, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

At what age do silkie roosters start roostering?

2. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I am by no means a silkie expert but the few silkie roos I have had were MUCH slower to mature than my other breeds. At least a month or even more and took a lot longer to get around to mounting the hens too.

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    But once the hormones kick in, they KICK IN. Our silkie roo would climb the coop ramp so he could leap onto the orpingtons. Looked like he was a little gray cowboy on a feathered palamino.

4. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Ours piped up at 12 weeks for sure. He may have crowed earlier but there were four other cockerels in the pen before. We weren't sure if our silkie was boy or girl, but he was acting cocky and had the streamer hairdo, and then after the other definite cockerels were gone he started crowing. Now he's the only roo in with 12 pullets and he is quite vocal.

5. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]

Woo!Hoo! Ride 'em!!!!! [​IMG]

My experience is that the hatchery quality boys are good to go around 5 months. My prettiest, type-ee-est (dare I say, show quality) rooster looked like a hen until 5 months and was not at all interested in the ladies, until he was 9 or 10 months old.

6. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Oh LOL on me, I just re-read the title of this post...in our family we use the term "rooing" for crowing so I mis-read it! Anyway, ahem...our now 14-week-old has NOT been seen performing other roosterly duties yet! Only crowing and acting smart and bossy, and his pullets are the same age so may not be interested yet either.

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    They all start at different ages, I'd say between 4-6 months. Some have taken longer than that. I have a 8 month old that hasn't started yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by