At what age do silkies start to lay????

Pics
My little girl is over six months - and no egg yet. I'm hoping mine will lay any day now, but I have stopped holding my breath. Hope someone else has better news. Wait I guess she's closer to 7 months now - she was hatched in mid January.

Mine start laying between 4 - 5 months.
big_smile.png

So I guess maybe it just really depends on the chicken??? Or whoever you swapped chickens with lied to you about the age or didn't know exactly. So maybe she is younger? Could you post a pic????

Most of my silkies have started laying around 7 months. But they don't lay very often. Just sit in the nest box for hours. They must think they are sitting on eggs but I lift them up and show them there aren't any. Silkies are cute and sweet but not terribly great egg producers! And their eggs are teeny tiny.

Also, we got our silkies from Bobbi Porto who knows a lot about silkies. She said the buff ones lay later than the other colors. Usually no sooner than 8 months. I have one that is over 8 months and hasn't laid yet.
barnie.gif

It depends on the quality of the silkies that you have. My silkie girls usually start at 7 1/2 -9 months old. I have some 8 month olds that have just started laying....Unpatiently waiting on the others to start!!!!
droolin.gif
I have heard people say that hatchery silkies will lay at 6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom