1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age do silkies start to lay????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amy's Animals, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I was told silkies don't lay until about 9 months of age, is this true????

2. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    My little girl is over six months - and no egg yet. I'm hoping mine will lay any day now, but I have stopped holding my breath. Hope someone else has better news. Wait I guess she's closer to 7 months now - she was hatched in mid January.

3. coberdor

coberdor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Norton, Ohio
    Mine start laying between 4 - 5 months. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Amy's Animals

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Allright, I hope mine will start laying between 4-5 months then too [​IMG] What color are your silkies????

5. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    What ?I am bummed, when I got my buff silkie at a swap I was told she was 8 months old, she is now 11 months and no eggs!!

6. Amy's Animals

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    So I guess maybe it just really depends on the chicken??? Or whoever you swapped chickens with lied to you about the age or didn't know exactly. So maybe she is younger? Could you post a pic????

7. TsaLaGi Acres

TsaLaGi Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Quote:Has she crowed yet?? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ours are around 5 months and still no eggs, no crowing either lol

8. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Most of my silkies have started laying around 7 months. But they don't lay very often. Just sit in the nest box for hours. They must think they are sitting on eggs but I lift them up and show them there aren't any. Silkies are cute and sweet but not terribly great egg producers! And their eggs are teeny tiny.

1 person likes this.
  9. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Also, we got our silkies from Bobbi Porto who knows a lot about silkies. She said the buff ones lay later than the other colors. Usually no sooner than 8 months. I have one that is over 8 months and hasn't laid yet. [​IMG]

10. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    It depends on the quality of the silkies that you have. My silkie girls usually start at 7 1/2 -9 months old. I have some 8 month olds that have just started laying....Unpatiently waiting on the others to start!!!! [​IMG] I have heard people say that hatchery silkies will lay at 6 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by