At what age do the hens stop laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hoot, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Hoot

Hoot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    Canaveral Groves, FL.
    Seems like I remember my grand father getting some younger birds once, because the old ones egg production slowed way down.

He blamed it on their age.

Hoot

2. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

Most will "slow down" at 2-3 years old. Then again, some never stop. They will lay an egg every now and then. But mostly, around 2-3 years of age

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    depends really.. most heavy production breeds (and all year round layers etc). stop about 8-10 years. and slow down at 3, non-heavy breeds seem to be able to go about a year longer. but it really depends on the health of your chickens, Stress issues, and i believe genetics as well.. as i knew a guy who had a breeding pair of american gamefowl at 18 years old.. and how that hen laid you would never have known she was that old unless you checked back through records, I also have a 10 year old american gamefowl hen... Still lays daily

PS, Reason i say genetics as well is due to every pullet out of that pair laid until 10-15 years, while his other lines would stop about 8-9

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have/had a black sex link who is 13 years old and still laying daily! She was mine, but I left her with neighbors hens when I moved. She is the marvel of S. Austin!

Hoot, how's the chicken coop/run coming along? I see you are still alive, but are you on the couch in the coop yet? [​IMG]

Need some closeups of that great barn where you and Dale conspire!
    I don't know you DW, so you're safe!

5. Hoot

Hoot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    Canaveral Groves, FL.
    LOL. Not yet. Our family has just had a terrible end to last year and beginning to this one. We have lost several close relatives in the past few months.

I've been so busy I don't have time to get in trouble.

But I do have my plans for the coop and run. Have spoke to the gent at the farm and ranch store. He will be ordering a new lot of chicks very soon. So I am positive I'll be in the dog house or hen house very soon.

Just got a final inspection on the barn. I'll post some pictures of the barn, coop under construction and Dale if he will stand still long enough.

Hoot

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by