1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age do their combs go red? [pics added]

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dancingchicken77, Nov 6, 2008.

1. dancingchicken77

dancingchicken77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Australia
    i have 2 pekin bantam chicks, 3.5 weeks old. they are getting little combs, but at this stage they are yellow. if they were roos, at what age would their combs be red? by the way one chick is looking to be buff, the other one is like a speckled grey/black frizzle. i'll add some photos in a minute

thanks so much in advance if you can give me some advice. my little boy and i are BUSTING for them to be hens so we can keep them. [​IMG] kenny is the yellow/buff one, and cheepy is the fuzzy one going frizzle

edited to say here are the pics - first two pics are at 3 weeks 1 day, third pic was taken a little earlier, at 2 weeks 2 days -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Roos start getting red fairly early but I think it will be a few weeks yet before you notice any redness. Pics will help though [​IMG]

3. dancingchicken77

Oct 22, 2008
    Australia
    anybody?.....

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My hens started to get red combs between 15 and 20 weeks. My roosters started getting red combs at about 7 weeks old.

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I have 10 bantam cochins (or pekins are you call them) that are 17 days old. Five have obviously pink combs and are all starting to show red wattles. I don't see the pink combs on your babies like my little "guys" have.

Here's my most pink-combed baby today:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  6. dancingchicken77

Oct 22, 2008
    Australia
    thanks so much redoak and josanne. that was really helpful, and josanne thanks so much for the pic too (cute chick). [​IMG]
    also i didn't know that cochins was another name for pekins. i was wondering why there didn't seem mention of pekins on the us chicken websites

anyone else got any advice/information on how young their combs start to go red?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by