At what age do waddles start to form on a hen? Do all hens have them?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I'm curious because a couple of my "girls" are starting to get some and they are 5 weeks old today. Just wondering! Thanks for any input!

2. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    I had some that got some around that age, and I was so worried that I had a bunch of roos, but now that they are 12 weeks old, only one that had the waddles is a roo and his are much bigger. they are still the same size at 12 weeks as they were at 5 or 6 weeks.

3. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I have chickens that I know for sure are hens because they are sex links. So no mistaking the sex there.
    They started waddles around 3 weeks. I was surprised to see them that early, although they are a production bird.
    I do have some now of another breed that are almost that age again and they are starting to show waddles.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Ok whew! I noticed a little waddles on my sex links and was wondering! I thought that the male black sex link had a white spot on it's head but thought MAYBE there was a mistake! lol I'm selling those girls over 4th of July so I wanted to be sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by