At what age do we install nest boxes in coop??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jason736, Jul 5, 2010.

1. jason736

jason736 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Waterford
    Hi,
    My girlfriend and I are new to raising chickens. We have 26 red stars/red sex links, unsure of the breed, that are 14 weeks old. We were told they start laying at 20-22 weeks. When should we put the nest boxes in the coop and how high off the floor should they be? THANK YOU[​IMG][​IMG]

2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    26... naww your a good boyfriend

You can put them in whenever you want, however, if the chickens start sleeping in them, you should block them off to discourage that habit. Red Sexlinks lay pretty early, so I would have the nests in by 16weeks, and expect them to lay from 18onwards.

As for height, it doesnt matter how low they are, but if the nests are higher than the roosts, then they will generally choose to sleep in the nest, which will lead to poopy eggs and an unhappy you.

I think you need about, hmm, 6 nest boxes, roughly. You should have 1 per 4 chickens (I know you didnt ask that but I thought I'd put it in anyway)

3. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Like Pixie said make nestbox height lower than your roost height.

I put bottom of my nestboxes at about 18" off the floor. Seems to work just fine.

4. blake101

blake101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    North, MS
    I have 6 Red Stars and a friend of mine has over 100. His started laying at 16 weeks....Just be ready, it is egg citing.....

5. jason736

jason736 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Waterford
    Hello,
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the info. My girlfriend and I finished and installed them this afternoon. Hope they start laying in a couple week then. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by