At what age do you butcher the birds?

mommyofthreewithchicks

Songster
10 Years
Jun 25, 2010
Minnesota
We got 10 birds from a friend but they didn't know how old the chickens were or what kind- Most I am guessing look like easter egger's and one is a Turken. Sadly 4 if not 5 are Roosters and will need to be butchered sooner or later. I am trying to figure out when that should be. The roosters are starting to fight today I noticed quite a bit of fighting action and Really don't want them to start fighting me. Plus I don't want to get attached to these as I know they are supposed to be food!

when they let out a "cock-a-doddle-doo!!!"
Seriously,when hormones kick in,meat starts to get tough.

I was thinking when they stop making tweety chick noises and start clucking. Haven't had the opportunity yet but hopefully i'll be eating my own home grown meat one of these days, not just the eggs
big_smile.png

I do my dual-purpose roos between 18-22 weeks. When the birds are cooked correctly, slowly with low heat & moisture, they are not tough. Since you don't know the age of these guys you can weigh them, or feel them. If you grab their drumsticks & your mouth begins to water, they should be ready.
wink.png

I try to do mine when they become a nuisance. If I can't get to them right away, I have an area I can lock them up in so they don't harass the hens, until I get around to them. Depending on how big they are, sometime between 16 weeks and 25 weeks is the usual.

Back
Top Bottom