At what age do you introduce your young birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cat1994, Aug 17, 2014.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I have over a dozen month old chicks (born and raised on my place) I was wondering at what age does everyone else introduce their new young birds to the adult flock?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I usually introduce my young birds when they are 8-12 weeks of age. At that point, they are nearing adult size, are well-feathered, and are better able to defend themselves/escape the older birds.

3. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Yeah I usually introduce mine around 8 weeks of age. I was wondering if others let them get older or manage to get them introduce at a younger age.

4. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I start integration at no earlier than 6 weeks. My situation is different than most since my brooding room is separated from the coop by a door (I simply open the door when I fell the babies are big enough to start to wander and can run from aggressive attention.

If I had no way of separation I would wait until 8 weeks at the very earliest, probably closer to 10 or 12.

5. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    That sounds like a neat way of doing it. I'll have to work on having the grower pen attached to the main hen house so I can just let the lil ones come and go as they please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by