At what age do you switch foods from birth till there old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Joe.G, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Hi, Just wondering at what age do you switch foods, Starting from when you get them as chicks till when ever there no longer around, Ill start them on Med Starter food, whats next? My Layers are on Layer Pellets. Thanks

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    This is one of those questions where there isn't a "right" answer, just lots of opinions with valid reasons behind them.

Some switch to a grower (unmedicated) feed once their chicks reach a certain age (usually once they've been on soil for a couple of weeks). Others keep them on medicated starter until they reach 20 weeks or lay an egg, whichever comes first. And some just use an unmedicated all-flock from chick to adult.

What you don't want to do is to feed birds younger than laying age a layer feed. The excess calcium is hard on their growing bodies. If you need to integrate them with your laying flock before then, you'll want to give everyone a grower or all-flock feed and serve calcium on the side (like oyster shell).

3. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I agree there are lots of opinions. I feed mine Purina medicated Start and Grow until about 19 - 20 weeks (when the bag of feed is empty). I then switch to Purina Layena pellets. I don't integrate the flocks until the younger ones have switched to Layena pellets.

4. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    So I can switch my whole flock over to Grower pellets for a little bit? Ill keep the chicks on Starter in till I move them out to the coop.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Exactly. Just make sure you provide another calcium source for the layers since they need more calcium than grower feed provides. They seem to know to eat it if they need it. I never had a shell quality problem while using an all-flock with oyster shell served in a separate container.

6. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Do I need to feed the Chicks Grit? If so when and is it the same grit Id feed my Hens?

7. huckleberry acres

huckleberry acres Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    South Alabama
    TSC sells a finer ground grit for chicks. The label recommends waiting until they are 2 weeks old before starting the chicks on grit.

8. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Do they need it? If all I am feeding them is Starter food and then in a month or two switching them to grower food?

9. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    25 Lb of Med starter left, I think Ill pick up a bag of Grower or all flock, my birds are about 4 weeks old. Can I feed them pellets? or do I need a mash or crumble?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by