At what age do you switch foods from birth till there old

Joe.G

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
Eastern NY
Hi, Just wondering at what age do you switch foods, Starting from when you get them as chicks till when ever there no longer around, Ill start them on Med Starter food, whats next? My Layers are on Layer Pellets. Thanks

This is one of those questions where there isn't a "right" answer, just lots of opinions with valid reasons behind them.

Some switch to a grower (unmedicated) feed once their chicks reach a certain age (usually once they've been on soil for a couple of weeks). Others keep them on medicated starter until they reach 20 weeks or lay an egg, whichever comes first. And some just use an unmedicated all-flock from chick to adult.

What you don't want to do is to feed birds younger than laying age a layer feed. The excess calcium is hard on their growing bodies. If you need to integrate them with your laying flock before then, you'll want to give everyone a grower or all-flock feed and serve calcium on the side (like oyster shell).

I agree there are lots of opinions. I feed mine Purina medicated Start and Grow until about 19 - 20 weeks (when the bag of feed is empty). I then switch to Purina Layena pellets. I don't integrate the flocks until the younger ones have switched to Layena pellets.

So I can switch my whole flock over to Grower pellets for a little bit? Ill keep the chicks on Starter in till I move them out to the coop.

Exactly. Just make sure you provide another calcium source for the layers since they need more calcium than grower feed provides. They seem to know to eat it if they need it. I never had a shell quality problem while using an all-flock with oyster shell served in a separate container.

So I can switch my whole flock over to Grower pellets for a little bit? Ill keep the chicks on Starter in till I move them out to the coop.

Do they need it? If all I am feeding them is Starter food and then in a month or two switching them to grower food?

25 Lb of Med starter left, I think Ill pick up a bag of Grower or all flock, my birds are about 4 weeks old. Can I feed them pellets? or do I need a mash or crumble?

Back
Top Bottom