At what age do you worm chicks and ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hunter0704, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    I keep seeing you all talk about worming your chickens and ducks, but no one has said when to start this process and if it is really needed. I maintain a rather clean coop and nests, plus the poop in the run is on top of pea gravel so it is easy to hose down. What are your suggestions? Thanks!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I only do my flock once a year as a precaution before the main breeding season, but also worm any new birds coming into the flock from elsewhere, or if I see evidence it is needed ( which has only been once about 5 years ago when I didnt worm a new bird coming in )

Ducks are a bit hardier than chickens when it comes to parasites- both internal and external, but they can still get them.

Wild birds that are carriers can easily leave dropping or lice no matter how clean your pens are- so it is still important to monitor your flock and check them on a regular basis.

3. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    o.k. need advise...what do you worm chicks with? when do you do it? what age? where do you get it? my feed store has nothing, so have to go on the web.
    Do you do it even if you don't see worms? I have 2 rirs that are 7 mths. old and 5 babies that are 2 months old.
    thanks

4. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    A lot of people I know of who run organic farms and can't use pesticides in their meat animals "worm" with a mixture of molasses and apple cider vinegar. That is what I would start with.

5. Albanese07

Albanese07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Florida
    I've read 12 weeks old to start worming. I'm using wazine first than 10 days later following up with Safeguard goat wormer .Both are on eBay .

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I haven't needed to do that for my ducks. Some day I may need to, I just monitor them for overall health, and occasionally take a representative duck to the vet for an exam. Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks has some suggestions for identifying parasite problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by