1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

at what age does a chicken become its full grown up size?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fratmor, Nov 11, 2010.

1. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    hi everyone I have 3 month old pullets and they seem so skinny to me I was wondering when they become full grown,some are egg and meat but I can't imagine eating them they would have to be the boniest things around.not that i want to eat them I just want eggs. witch is another question when can I expect to get some? thanks to all that can help.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    At three months they are at that awkward teenage stage and can be kind of scrawny. Oh, and you're going to have to wait at least another couple of months for eggs.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  3. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    [​IMG] I can't wait,I want my fresh eggs!!!! YAY chicks, thank you for telling me that they are scrawny at 3 mnts I was worrying that they were to skinny.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've been curious myself about the age at which a chicken achieves their full growth. So I used the handy "search" function at the top of this page.

I found that the age the chicken is fully grown depends on the breed. They say that Brahmas aren't at their full weight and size until age two. Others are fully grown some time after one year.

As for when you can expect your girls to start laying, that also depends on the breed. Some are slow to mature, and others, like Wyandottes, are ready to go around five months. Watch their combs. When they begin to turn bright red, the first little starter eggs aren't far off. Also, if your pullet squats when you reach to pick her up, that's another sign they're getting very close to producing that first egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by