at what age does male peacock start mating/breeding?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by faizan, Aug 12, 2010.

1. faizan

faizan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    last year i had an indian blue male who waz jus 18 months old and and started mating with 2 year old peahen and hatched 2/3 eggs
    this year i have another indian blue whoz jus 17 months old , he mated wid a black shoulder peahen and hatched 4/4 eggs...!!
    in other articles i have read that male peacock mus be atleast 2 year old but mine are mating way berfore that and doin it with great fertility rate... they are doin it way better dan adult peacocks....

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Male peacocks normally don't start breeding til the age of two and if they are high % spalding sometimes 3 yrs and if one of the pure green subspecies 3 or 4.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I didn't know that, why are the spauldings and greens slower/later to mature?

Steve

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Mine start their 2nd spring.....so yes they could be under 2 yr old by a few months. Even the ones hatched in July and Aug. will breed their 2nd spring.

so ones hatched in 2010 will breed in 2012 and etc.

Thats for india and low % spaldings.

Dont understand 17 month old ones ,because breeding season is not year long, about 4 months at best. so by that the youngest should be 20 months their 2 nd spring.

5. coloradopeafowl

coloradopeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    Steve_of_sandpoultry=
    I didn't know that, why are the spauldings and greens slower/later to mature?

Steve

Well first there are two species of peafowl. Green Peafowl and India Blue Peafowl.

In the blue peafowl falls the mutations of- In Green Peafowl there are three subspecies-
    White Java Green (Muticus-Muticus)
    Cameo Burmese Green (Pavo Muticus Specifer)
    Purple Indo-Chinese Green (Pavo Muticus Imperator)
    Charcoal
    Midnight
    Peach
    Taupe
    Opal
    Bronze
    Violetta
    And any of these can have the patterns of-
    Barred Wind (wild type)
    Blackshoulder
    Pied
    White Eyed
    Silver Pied

Blue x Green=
    Spalding
    Spalding can be in any color such as-
    Bronze x Green= Spalding Bronze
    Midnight x Green = Spalding Midnight
    There is only one mutation to originate from a spalding and that is jade.

So some breeds take longer to mature than others, thats why blue and its mutations mature normally at two while green and its subspecies mature at three and four. Spaldings are a mix of blue and green so therefore they have the green blood in them and mature just a little slower than pure blues and a little faster than pure greens.​

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Well first there are two species of peafowl. Green Peafowl and India Blue Peafowl.

I understand that,

my question was why do the greens mature later...... do you know? I was looking for more than "just because they do"

Steve​

7. faizan

Aug 10, 2010
    Quote:dear deerman, breeding season is different in different areas. In some areas like india the summerz are long, the breeding season is lasts more than 6 months late march to late september, so obviously the peacock could be approx 18-19 months old in the next season...
    and by the way in earlier comment i said my peacock waz 17 months old , actually hez 18.5 months old..sorry for dat mistake.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  8. Shepicca

Shepicca Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    But as you didn't put where you were from in your profile how was anyone to know you were from India? As a very high % of users of this forum are from N. America it would be natural to assume that that is where you are from too unless you say otherwise in your profile.

9. faizan

Aug 10, 2010
    Quote:sorry, didnt knw that....thanx for telling me dat i havnt mentiond ma country in ma profile

10. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I understand that,

my question was
    why do the greens mature later...... do you know

? I was looking for more than "just because they do"

Steve​

I don't know for sure, but here are some other things on the three subspecies also:

1. They Mature later 3 or 4 yrs old before they breed.

2. They don't lay as many eggs as the Blue species.

3. Harder to hatch and keep alive, they seem to have more leg problems then the Blue subs.

4. They are more flighty and will be the ones to break there necks before the Blues.

5. They can't handle the cold like the rest of them.

And I don't know why, haven't found books on it. I just know because we raised them for 7 yrs and this is what happened to us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by