at what age full grown?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lowry075, Jul 25, 2011.

1. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    I forgot how old they are when they're adult size. [​IMG]

2. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Doesn't anyone remember? Awww...I want to know how much longer I will have to keep my teenagers seperated in the coop.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. Mia_

Mia_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    South Puget Sound
    I would think it would depend on the breed. My 8 week old CX are much larger than a banty will ever be.

4. LindenLiving

LindenLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Really depends on the breed. Generally you can mix younger chicks with older chickens when they are roughly half the size of the older ones. Adult would be when they are laying....then they are adult chickens.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I believe adult is over 1 year; most start laying at about 4-6 month old. I have only dual purpose breeds, so their temperaments are very similar.

At 4 weeks old I put my youngest out in a dog pen, they could see other chickens in another run or be surrounded when those were free ranging. After several weeks I let them out to free range also, with a small patch of brambles to retreat to as necessary. A few days later I put them in the coop at dusk with the youngest group of hens 3m and 4m olds. THey were terrified. It's taken a few days to adjust. The first day they didn't leave the area of the new coop and hid under the branches of a hemlock. THe next day they seemed to have forgotten how to leave the coop.

It's only been a few days and the girls (now 7 weeks old)race out with the older hens and find their way back during the day (food and water there) and again at dusk. Just my experience. Hope it helps you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by