1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age is the pecking order pretty much figured out?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MydearWatson, May 8, 2011.

1. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    My chicks are now about a week and a half old. The two largest ones have started to practice fly and then dive bomb a pile of sleeping chicks. Im assuming this is normal and they are trying to show their dominance? I of course hate to see it because I feel bad for my little ones getting stomped on by the huge Orp! At what point is the pecking order figured out? I hate watching it happen!

2. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I am not sure but my 2 to 3 week olds are showing sighns. The funny thing is the smallest one of the bunch was the one to peck at everyone. Now the biggest one I think rules the brooder as when my son takes her out they all start chirping and running around looking for her. Any other gets taken out nothing happens. No one gets hurt out of the 4 but it is funny wathing them go at it.

3. andrew6d9

andrew6d9 Chillin' With My Peeps

usually the orpingtons will get bullied instead of taking over. very interesting

4. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I'm glad u posted this!

5. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I have (9) chickens.....5 Australorps, 3 RIR, and 1 Orp. Of all of them, my lone Orp and one of my RIR's pretty much rule. When I open the run door, the Orp is the first one out of the gate EVERY TIME. She acts like a loner, but everyone else follows her lead.
    Tonight, I watched them file in to the coop for the night. The roost has a window where only a few can see out, and guess who sits in the viewing area??? Yes, my orp and my RIR.

By the way, the Orp's name is Sara, and the RIR is named Darla. (do those sound like "take charge" names???)

6. BrynnRDH

BrynnRDH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Quote:Our buff orp is the head hen too! I thought it was because she's so big.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chicks start working on the pecking order from DAY ONE in the brooder together, but dive bombing is just simple playfulness. Puppies and kittens do it too.

8. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Like others have posted, my Orpington is right up at the top as well. Mine are over 10 weeks old and had pretty much figured out the pecking order (with an occasional squabble) when I upset them by giving two away to a friend because I had too many. (Gasp, I know you are shocked [​IMG]) It appears that the pecking order is being worked out again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by