At what age should a 26-week old EE cockerel start acting like the

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bookworm chick, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    protector of the flock? I had bantams before and the roo was mature when I got him. He called the girls to him and gave them choice tidbits, he led the girls in the coop when it was time to roost and was definitely the protector. I've switched over to standard chickens with one cockerel and three pullets. None have started laying yet. Two of the pullets are EE so from what I've read, they mature later. Does the EE cockerel mature later as well? So far he's hogging the treats and hasn't been leading the pullets into the coop to roost. Last night it was dark outside before they finally went into the coop. They were just milling around the run like they were waiting for someone to make the first move. My bantam roo always took his hens inside around dusk and they would have a bedtime meal and then go up to roost. Just wondering when I should expect more "roo" behavior from him and less juvenile behavior.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. Bookworm chick

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Anyone?

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    There isn't a specific age so nobody can tell you when your cockerel will feel his oats or how good he'll be at the job.

My EE cockerel started taking over the lead at 14 weeks (which was also when he started crowing and trying to mount the pullets). He wasn't exactly assertive about it and he's a very mild-mannered guy overall but I also know he's taking his job seriously. Not only does he tidbit, I've witnessed him fight back when a hawk attacked a pullet, I've watched him place himself between our dog and his girls when he thought the dog was too close, and he runs around and rounds them up if one strays too far from the group when they are out ranging. He's about 30 weeks now but he's been doing this sort of thing for quite some time. I would not have expected him to be a great rooster based on his early tendencies but he's turning out to be fantastic! You never know, your guy might come around.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  4. Bookworm chick

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Quote:Thanks, debid. I can only hope, lol.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    FWIW, I hear that EEs are wildly variable about when they mature. I have a pullet going on 30 weeks that has only laid one egg so far while another has been laying since 23 weeks and maintaining a 6 large eggs:7 days routine without interruption (and she was the one attacked by the hawk!) They've had exactly the same care & feeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by