1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At what age should chickens be harvested?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by WisconsinGardenChick, Oct 27, 2009.

1. WisconsinGardenChick

WisconsinGardenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    I have dual purpose breeds - Barred Rocks and RIRs. I planned to keep them for eggs, but one of the reds is causing trouble/starting fights. We're thinking it may be better to remove her. They are 24 weeks old, and started laying 3 weeks ago. Aren't you supposed to harvest them before they start laying?

Curious also, in case our city raises the limit on the number we can keep. Then we would raise a few extra for meat.

Thanks!

Katherine

PS Are the mean ones tougher?? [​IMG]

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    slow cooker for about 6 hours does the trick.

3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    PS Are the mean ones tougher??

Always..... [​IMG]

4. WisconsinGardenChick

WisconsinGardenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:So, I assume that means they are well past the ideal age for harvest?

Can you tell me what is the right age?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    12 weeks at the earliest, up to about 18 weeks. Keep in mind these will never be as tender or meaty as cornish x. We have gotten so accustomed to seeing these large over-muscled carcasses that the smaller dual purpose breed carcasses just don't look "ready". Slow breeds like Orpingtons and Jersey Giants really have very little breast meat at this stage and are better to let mature and plan on a nice long cook in a smoker, if you can afford the feed. We have also found that a meat grinder does wonders. These guys have a lot of flavor and make the best chicken salad for sandwiches or served on a bed of lettuce. There are also recipes for poultry sausages.

here is a link to an 18 wk red star cockeral carcass I was disappointed in, but others thought it quite fine, given the breed, etc. You just have to get over the grocery store image of a hybrid meat bird.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=767698#p767698

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by