At what age should i introduce the oyster shell?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Going Quackers, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    The chickens are basically 18wks, they are fed a flock raiser and are put outside daily, with some BOSS and scratch tossed about in their pen.

I have no plans to use a layer as i have more waterfowl(drakes too) than chickens so prefer to use a feed that everyone can eat, my ducks have access to oyster shell free choice but since the chickens were young i had yet to give them any, should i begin now?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I don't expect pullets to start giving eggs until 24 weeks so would wait. Though with free choice they really wont consume it until they need it so it doesn't matter when you start providing it.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    true but one less thing to knock down is always good lol I'll wait awhile longer, will impending winter delay their laying age? i have no light added in the coop nor plan too.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Some years the pullets are later to start for me than others and they are started same time each spring. Adding lighting made no difference to starting lay time. We add lighting just to ensure they get vitamin D via light spectrum, use a 16 watt warm white energy efficient bulb to ensure they get 12 hour light- on for few hours pre-dawn and few hours after dusk with timer.

Thinking about that I'm realizing we are already below 12 hours dawn to dusk. Dunno, maybe I'll only ensure 11 hours this year. We get below 9 hours up north here so will give them something but wont get out the electric cords until it's time to heat the water. Few more weeks until that's needed.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by