At what age should I start my chicks on grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jesse_levi, Aug 23, 2010.

1. jesse_levi

jesse_levi In the Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Independence
    I am buying chicks that are 4weeks old.I have heard that you should start them on grit at anytime from 2-8 weeks.I remember that our chicks on the farm always had a natural supply of grits anywhere that they roamed.
    Anyway,this time I am raising them in a suburban setting,And was just curious what the general consensus was.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Sissy

Sissy Songster

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I start mine at 31/2months on grit.
    as thats
    when Ialso begin
    their layer feed.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Your chicks won't need grit until such time that they are eating foods other than their chick starter/grower. Keep in mind that foods they find naturally, such as bugs or blades of grass count as other foods.
    I start my chicks on healthy treats, hard-boiled egg, yogurt and crickets, early (less than two weeks old) so I offer them a little parakeet grit at that time. After they start going outside during the day (age two weeks) I stop offering it because I know that they are instinctively finding their own outside.

[​IMG]

4. CorporateGranola

CorporateGranola Chirping

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    gritsar, my chicks are about the same age as jesse's and i was wondering the same thing, thanks for your quick reply! I was wondering one thing though... I've heard that grit with calcium (i.e. parakeet grit) isn't really good for the chicks. Is there a brand you would recommend that doesn't have calcium in it?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Some mass retailers, like walmart, sometimes carry the plain parakeet grit (w/o calcium), though it's kind of hit and miss on which stores at which times. You can also purchase chick grit at farm stores - tractor supply, atwoods and the like. Play sand works, as does going out to a section of your driveway or yard and digging them up some "grit". I can remember my first batch of chicks loving it when I would dig them up a clump of dirt/grass/small pebbles and offer it to them in a shallow pan. They'd scratch through it first to pick out the grit, then dustbathe in the leftovers.

6. CorporateGranola

CorporateGranola Chirping

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    wow! you are fast on the trigger!

Thanks very much for the info, gritsar.

Peace!

-=CG=-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by